Stewed Peppers and Tomatoes with Eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, quartered lengthwise, and then sliced crosswise
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 8 slices toasted baguette or English muffin halves
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook, covered, for 4 minutes. Add the peppers, salt, and pepper, and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Crush tomatoes with your hands and add to the skillet along with their juices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the mixture has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Make 8 small wells in the sauce and carefully crack an egg into each one. Cover and gently simmer for 6 minutes. Uncover and cook until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to desired doneness, 6 to 7 minutes for slightly runny yolks.
Evenly spoon the mixture and one egg onto each of the toast slices, and garnish with parsley.