Mushroom, Asparagus, and Pea Risotto
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- ¼ cup fat free half and half
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 leaves fresh peppermint, torn
In a large saucepan, add the chicken stock and heat until hot.
In a large Dutch oven set over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Sauté the mushrooms, shallots, and asparagus until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 more minute. Add the Arborio rice and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the wine and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Add the stock 1 cup at a time and cook, stirring after each addition, until all of the liquid is absorbed. Season periodically with a dash of salt and pepper. The process takes about 30 to 40 minutes of cooking and constant stirring.
Remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Stir in the arugula, peas, half and half, Parmesan, butter, and lemon juice. Top with the mint and serve.