- 1 pound Maryland backfin crab meat
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed and cubed
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, for sprinkling
Remove all cartilage from crabmeat.
In medium size pan, melt 1 Tablespoon butter, mix in flour. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, to keep mixture smooth and free from lumps. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Mix in onion, Worcestershire sauce, and bread cubes. Cool.
Fold in mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
In another pan, melt remaining 2 Tablespoons butter until lightly browned. Add crabmeat and toss lightly. Combine with sauce mixture.
Put into individual shells or ramekins (or greased 1-quart casserole). Sprinkle paprika over top. Bake at 450° F until hot and bubbly and lightly browned on top, 10 to 15 minutes.
Note: You can use 2% milk and light mayonnaise without affecting the flavor at all, and reduce this to 8 Weight Watchers Smart Points per serving. It reduces the calories to 288, the fat to 17g, and the saturated fat to 7g, but increases total carbs to 10.5g, sugars to 3.5g, and sodium to 1125mg.